How to Clean Mesh Shoes - A Comprehensive Guide
Do you have mesh sneakers that have lost their luster thanks to stubborn grass stains? Perhaps you're wondering if there's an effective way to clean mesh shoes without causing damage. Well, you're in luck!
We will be providing simple steps to restore your shoes to their original glory. Whether you're a fitness enthusiast who frequently puts their sneakers to the test, or simply someone who enjoys a casual walk in the park, this article is for you.
Let's dive right in and check out our expert tips for dealing with grass stains on mesh shoes.
Materials You Will Need
- Soft-bristled shoe brush
- Mild laundry detergent
- Clean sponge or cloth
- Old toothbrush (optional)
- Microfiber towel (optional)
Step-by-Step Guide to Clean Mesh Shoes
Step 1: Remove Laces and Loose Dirt
Before anything else, it's essential to remove the laces from your mesh sneakers. This is because laces often hide dirt and stains, so by taking them out, you're ensuring a thorough clean. Once you've done that, it's time to remove any loose dirt.
Since mesh shoes are notorious for harboring dust and dirt, a soft-bristle shoe brush comes in handy to gently brush off the excess debris from the surface of the shoes.
Step 2: Prep a Mild Cleaning Solution
Next, it's time to prepare a cleaning solution. Fill a bowl with warm water, then add a few drops of mild laundry detergent. Mix until you get a soapy solution. This is a gentle yet effective way to get your shoes clean without causing damage to the mesh fabric.
Read related article: How to Clean Adidas Superstar - Shoe Cleaning Guide
Step 3: Scrub the Shoes
Once your cleaning solution is ready, dampen your sponge or cloth in the soapy water. Now, proceed to scrub the shoes, focusing on the areas with grass stains.
If the stains persist, you can use an old toothbrush to scrub gently. The bristles will penetrate into the mesh fibers to extract the hidden dirt and stains.
Step 4: Apply Baking Soda
If after scrubbing, the grass stains are still noticeable, it's time to bring in the big guns - baking soda. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the stained areas, then scrub gently using your old toothbrush.
Leave it to sit for a few hours or overnight for the best results. Baking soda is a natural cleaner that's safe on mesh and effective in removing stubborn stains.
Step 5: Rinse Under Cold Water
Once you're satisfied with the scrubbing, it's time to rinse the shoes. Run your shoes under cold water, ensuring you wash off all the soap and baking soda residue.
It's essential to use cold water as warm water might set any remaining stains, making them more challenging to remove in the future.
Step 6: Air Dry
The final step in getting your shoes clean is to let them air dry. Place the shoes in an open area with plenty of air circulation. Avoid direct sunlight as it may cause the mesh to fade.
Depending on the weather, this process may take a few hours to a full day. Don't rush this process - remember, a good clean pair of shoes is worth the wait!
Can You Put Mesh Shoes in the Washing Machine?
Read related article: Athletic Shoe Care
While it's often not the first choice, using a washing machine can be a highly effective method for cleaning mesh shoes, provided you adhere to certain guidelines. Start by removing any dirt with a baking soda mixture, combined with hydrogen peroxide.
This potent cleaning solution can eliminate stubborn stains and bring a refreshing cleanliness to your sneakers. Pay special attention to the midsoles, cleaning them separately to remove all grime.
Finally, to protect your shoes during the washing process, place them inside a pillow case or laundry bag. This helps to reduce the exposure to direct agitation during the wash cycle, thus preserving the integrity and longevity of your mesh shoes.
How to Clean White Mesh Shoes?
Now, if you have white mesh shoes, learning how to clean them effectively is essential to maintain their pristine appearance.
Read related article: How to Clean Nike Shoes
- White shoes, especially those from popular brands like Nike, Adidas, and others, are often tougher to clean due to their ability to show dirt and stains more visibly.
- One effective method to clean white mesh shoes is using bleach. However, it's crucial to use it cautiously. Mix one part bleach with five parts water to create a diluted solution. Using a soft cloth, apply this mixture to the shoe in a circular motion.
- An alternative to bleach, especially for those who are wary of its harsh properties, is white toothpaste. Apply a small amount of toothpaste to a toothbrush and gently scrub your shoes in a circular motion. The mild abrasive nature of toothpaste helps remove dirt and stains efficiently.
- Another important aspect when cleaning white mesh shoes is to clean the midsoles. Often overlooked, the midsoles can harbor a lot of dirt and can make your shoes look dingy if not cleaned properly. A mixture of baking soda and white vinegar works well for this.
- In some cases, the mesh material of white shoes can be tough to clean, especially if it's from certain brands that use tighter weaves. In such instances, using a soft-bristle brush can help.
- If your shoes have stubborn stains that are challenging to remove, a shoe cleaner formulated specifically for white shoes can be a good investment.
- Finally, after cleaning, always let your shoes air dry. Never use a heat source to speed up the drying process as it can cause the mesh material to shrink or warp.
Tips on How to Prevent Future Stains
- Consider treating your shoes with a water and stain repellent before wearing them.
- Keep a sneaker cleaning kit with you when going out, so you can address stains as soon as they happen.
- Avoid wearing mesh shoes in wet or muddy environments.
- Regularly wash your shoelaces to prevent dirt buildup and staining.
- Consider investing in darker colored mesh shoes, which tend to hide stains better.
For your Adidas, Nike mesh shoes, or any other mesh sneakers, keeping them clean is crucial to maintain their appearance and longevity. Whether you prefer a hands-on approach or opt for the washing machine method, always remember to treat your shoes with care and avoid harsh chemicals that may damage the fabric.
With these tips in mind, you can enjoy your fresh, clean mesh shoes for many more adventures to come! Remember to always protect, clean, and air dry your shoes for best results.
Check out Stone and Clark's Sneaker Cleaning Kit that comes with everything you need to clean and protect your shoes.